Working Time - Employer ResponsibilitiesPosted in : LK Shields on Employment Law on 14 August 2019
There have been a number of recent cases at the European Court of Justice and elsewhere that impact on the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997, as it applies in Ireland. Are Irish employers maintaining proper records of working hours? Are you open to challenge from your employees or their unions?
Closer to home, the Labour Court awarded compensation to an employee who worked outside of her office hours. The Labour Court also emphasised that employers must ensure employees take their rest breaks – providing an opportunity is insufficient.
In this article, Ciara O’Kennedy, Partner, LK Shields, set out key aspects of the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997, as informed by recent case law.
Already a subscriber?
Click here to login and access the full article.Log in now to read the full article
Don't miss out, start your free trial today!
Are you fully aware of the benefits of Legal-Island's Irish Employment Law Hub? We help thousands of people like you understand how the latest changes in Irish employment law impact your business through a mix of case law analysis and in-depth articles. All delivered right to your inbox.
We help you to understand the ramifications of each important case from Ireland and Europe.
We help you ensure that your organisation's policies and procedures are fully compliant with Irish law.
You will receive regular updates on Irish employment law including case law reviews, legislative changes, topical updates as well as answers to your burning questions through our Q&A feature.
You will have 24/7 access to the Employment Law Hub so you can research case law and HR issues when you need to.
More on Working Time & Leave
- Limerick Express Couriers Limited v Mr Malcolm Dick 
- Working Time and Remote Working – An Employers Guide
- PMPD Foods t/a Toffee n Thyme v Mr Ken Banville 
- Regulating Home & Remote Working - Your Questions Answered
- Requiring Employees To Use Their Annual Leave Entitlement – How Do I Handle It?
More Employment Law Updates
- Variation of Employment Contracts: Consent and COVID-19
- Remote Working And Compliance With Working-Time Rules
- Variation of Terms and Conditions Prior To Transfer Unenforceable
- Strategies for Coping with a Temporary Downturn in Business during COVID-19 Crisis
- Employee Share Remuneration - Overview and Recent Developments
The information in this article is provided as part of Legal-Island's Employment Law Hub. We regret we are not able to respond to requests for specific legal or HR queries and recommend that professional advice is obtained before relying on information supplied anywhere within this article.