Retirement Dismissals – Issues for EmployersPosted in : How Do I Handle It ROI on 7 December 2020
Jennifer Cashman, Practice Group Leader of RDJ's Employment Team answers a few questions relating to retirement issues, arising from her stellar performance at this year’s Annual Review of Employment Law.
1. Retirement - where an employer historically has not had a retirement age in contracts for office-based employment, what should be done with employees in their late 60's who are not showing any sign of retiring? We’ve had no retirees up to now. Do they have to be paid off?
If there is no mandatory retirement age in the employment, then there is no legal obligation on an employee to retire, unless the employer is concerned about their capacity to do the job, in which case
Already a subscriber?
Click here to login and access the full article.Log in now to read the full article
Don't miss out, start your free trial today!
Are you fully aware of the benefits of Legal-Island's Irish Employment Law Hub? We help thousands of people like you understand how the latest changes in Irish employment law impact your business through a mix of case law analysis and in-depth articles. All delivered right to your inbox.
We help you to understand the ramifications of each important case from Ireland and Europe.
We help you ensure that your organisation's policies and procedures are fully compliant with Irish law.
You will receive regular updates on Irish employment law including case law reviews, legislative changes, topical updates as well as answers to your burning questions through our Q&A feature.
You will have 24/7 access to the Employment Law Hub so you can research case law and HR issues when you need to.
More on Unfair Dismissal
- Pay In Lieu of Notice and Calculating the Date of Dismissal – How do I handle it?
- Use Of CCTV In Disciplinary Processes: New Ruling from The Court Of Appeal
- Darragh O’Farrell v Campbell Catering Limited t/a Aramark Ireland 
- A Sales Executive v A Software Company 
- Kathryn O’Boyle v Temperature Controlled Pharmaceuticals Limited 
The information in this article is provided as part of Legal-Island's Employment Law Hub. We regret we are not able to respond to requests for specific legal or HR queries and recommend that professional advice is obtained before relying on information supplied anywhere within this article.