HR Update – June 2020Posted in : HR Updates ROI on 2 June 2020
During the Covid-19 pandemic, one thing has remained clear – the HR profession has never been busier or more in demand. Conscious of the need for relevant and timely guidance we have endeavoured to ensure we have a wide range of articles and webinars to help our HR colleagues cope with the increased demands on their time.
Here are a few of the recent articles and webinars we have added to our website over the last month:
An inevitable outcome of the Covid-19 pandemic has been a global downturn in many businesses and while many organisations are preparing for re-opening for others there will be a need to reduce costs and headcount. We have a range of helpful resources for managing redundancy situations like:
- An Overview of Redundancy Process – by Caroline McEnery, the HR Suite
- Redundancy for Employees With Less than Two Years’ Service – How Do I Handle It? – by Jennifer Cashman, RDJ
- Guidance for Employers implementing a redundancy selection process in the wake of COVID-19 – by Sheila Spokes, Leman Solicitors
- How To: Successfully Manage Cutbacks In The Pandemic – by Dr Gerry McMahon
The Irish Government's COVID-19 Specific National Protocol for Employers and Workers (the "Protocol") was published on Friday, 8 May. The Protocol sets a high bar for employers who are preparing to re-open their workplaces in the coming weeks and months as outlined in the Roadmap to Re-Opening Ireland. We have a number of recourses to help provide some interpretation of the Safety Protocol including:
- Preparing To Return To The Workplace - Guidance For Employers In Ireland - this really helpful guide, Karen Killalea, Ciara Ni Longaigh and James Scanlon of Maples Employment team in Dublin set out the key obligations for employers as workplaces re-open.
- COVID-19: Returning to the Workplace - Employment Law and HR Considerations – this webinar with Jennifer Cashman, RDJ and Scott Alexander, Legal Island provided insight into the Safety Protocol for Returning to the Workplace and was packed full of helpful guidance.
- The National Return to Work Safely Protocol – What it Means in Practical Terms – also by RDJ, Caoimhe Heery discusses what the National Return to Work Safely Protocol, which was published on the 9th May 2020 means in practical terms for Employers.
- HR challenges arising during business re-opening – this webinar with Caroline McEnery from the HR Suite takes place today at 2pm and focuses on the HR issues around employees returning to the workplace. The recording will be available on the website from the 3rd June here.
While remote working has been a life saver for many organisations in ensuring that many services can continue to operate it has not been without its challenges for Line Managers and the HR profession. Issues have arisen around work/life balance; dealing with disciplinary and grievance issues and communication and engagement. Here are a few resources that may prove helpful in dealing with issues arising during remote working:
- How to Maintain Productivity and Communicate Effectively During Remote Working – in this webinar recording Caroline McEnery, the HR Suite, discusses how to maintain productivity & how to communicate effectively during remote working.
- Managing and Motivating Homeworkers in the New World of Work - in this webinar recording, Sarah Travers hosts a discussion with Legal Island Chairman Barry Phillips on managing and motivating employees during home working, alongside Louise Smyth, Managing Director, MCS Group and Emer Hinphey, Partner, Think People.
- Top Tips for Remote Workplace Investigations – in this article CC Solicitors outline their top tips for conducting workplace investigations remotely.
- Resilience in the chaos: Harnessing positive psychology in times of change - Emer Hinphey, Co-Founder and Managing Partner of Think People provides some tips on how maintain a positive psychological outlook during these difficult times including strategies such as mindfulness and perspective shifting.
- Work Life Balance and Remote Working - In this article, Clare McKee, Partner at Clarendon Executive sets out some key learning tips to help us become more disciplined and productive in the current situation.
Latest HR Updates
- Work Life Balance and Remote Working
- An Overview of Redundancy Processes
- Resilience in the chaos: Harnessing positive psychology in times of change
- Remote Working – the Future of Work?
- Dealing With Grief In The Workplace
- The Essential Link Between Business Strategy and HR Management
- Why is Emotional Intelligence Important?
The information in this article is provided as part of Legal-Island's Employment Law Hub. We regret we are not able to respond to requests for specific legal or HR queries and recommend that professional advice is obtained before relying on information supplied anywhere within this article.