Irish Employment Law - 12 things we’ve learned this quarter (Q1 2019)Posted in : Supplementary Articles ROI on 8 April 2019
Every three months we’ll update you with some of the key developments in employment law and practice in Ireland. You’ll find many more learning points on the Irish Employment Law Hub but, if you don’t have time to research every item, here are 12 useful pearls of wisdom this quarter:
- Caroline McEnery of the HR Suite discusses how to proactively approach performance management with employees and there will be a follow-up webinar on 8th May
- The HSA has produced three ergonomic risk assessment tools and a couple of plain English guides
- The Employment (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2018 commenced this week - do you have your 5-day statements ready?
- The Low Pay Commission’s Review of Current Practices in Relation to Tips and Gratuities has been published and "legislation is not necessarily the best way forward in this matter"
- The EU has struck a provisional deal on transparent working conditions for gig-economy workers
- The DPC has published guidance on transfers of personal data from Ireland to the UK in the event of a 'No-Deal' Brexit
- A hidden camera at work cost an employer €5,000 in compensation
- Almost half of Irish workers admit to "pulling a sickie" at least once a year with one in four doing so because they are hungover.
- There are new Labour Court Rules - the new rules comprise six parts and applied with effect from the 21 January 2019;
- Listen back to Jennifer Cashman's review of the year webinar
- And Ailbhe Dennehy's case law review of the year webinar:
- Emily Sexton, Solicitor in Comyn Kelleher Tobin, examines the case of Minister for Justice and Equality, Commissioner of An Garda Siochana v Workplace Relations Commission C-378/17, a recent important CJEU decision on the powers of WRC adjudicators to disapply a rule of national law that is contrary to EU law.
Accessing the articles: Although the Hub contains some freely accessible articles, the majority are only for the eyes of our 1,300+ subscribers. To access the full articles, you'll need a subscription to the Hub, or to take a 30-day free trial.
Learn more: https://www.legal-island.ie/register/
More Supplementary Articles
The information in this article is provided as part of Legal-Island's Employment Law Hub. We regret we are not able to respond to requests for specific legal or HR queries and recommend that professional advice is obtained before relying on information supplied anywhere within this article.